Monday, March 14, 2011

What binds us together.

When I look out the window of my house at the people walking along, at the trees swaying in the breeze, or a dog watering a nearby swaying tree it easily appears that everything outside of me is not me. They appear entirely separate from me. The tree doesn't sway because of me, the people aren't walking along because I wish them to, and that dog isn't peeing on that tree for my entertainment. Yet whether or not any of us can see it I am quite undeniably linked with all the above mentioned things, as they are linked to me, and to you. 

This is a link that binds all people on our little blue sphere. When you commit  to an action, that sends a pulse over this link, and this pulse can be anything from dropping a piece of litter to smiling to a passing stranger. This pulse becomes magnified as it goes along, and this pulse goes quite the distance as it hops from one link in to the next, snowballing along the way. Each pulse can even travel across the very course of time itself. If you were to trace every pulse created you would probably be able to trace that pulse to each link, each person, at every point in time. Perhaps that pulse would never stop. 

Because it is our actions that create these pulses, we ultimately make our reality, we choose by what we do whether this link brings us together, or binds us in a chain of pain. We decide what the future will bring for every living thing on this planet. We decide it by the largest of actions, like donating millions of dollars to charity;  or to the smallest of actions, such as purchasing a pack of gum from Wal-Mart. 

Every decision we make shapes our world, so maybe it's time to give a little more thought to what we do.


No comments: