Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mitt Ronmey must love Monopoly

"I love paying the taxes that I am legally required to, and you should too."
News flash! Mitt Romney is filthy rich! Wait aren't most politicians egregiously wealthy? Well yes, but old Mitt you see made twenty one point seven million dollars in 2010, and paid only 13.9% of that in taxes. How he was able to do this was through some very smooth legal maneuvers that hid a good deal of what he made from the IRS. Now before you ask, the answer is no, you may not legally dodge paying your taxes. Or at least you could if you made significantly more than you do now.

What did Mitty have to say about this, 

"I pay all the taxes that are legally required and not a dollar more... I don't think you want someone as the candidate for president who pays more taxes than he owes." 
 
Then from the ABC article we get this,

"That may be true, but some tax experts say Romney took advantage of loopholes in the system to pay a lower rate. "All these disclosures, all these complicated, expensive transactions, all aimed to reduce his tax," Wilkins said. "The overarching message is, this is the way the tax system is tilted towards the wealthy. These are advantages middle income people don't get." 

So taking this together I think I can better rewrite Mitt's previous statement,

"I pay all the taxes that are legally required, based on laws which favour people like me, who are of far greater means than you. I don't think you want someone as the candidate for president who pays more taxes than he thinks he owes."  

I agree wholeheartedly Mitt, I'm also willing to play by the rules when they are set up in my favour. 

No comments: